Walls for the wind and a roof for the rain and drinks beside the fire ~
laughter to cheer you and those you love near you and all that your heart desires.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

An American Sampler....




This is a sampler based on an American sampler from the school of Polly Balch, Providence, R.I. as published in Treasures in Needlework. These samplers have become well known as coming from one of the few identifiable schools of needlework in America in the 1700s. The most striking features of this group are the architectural elements. The striped columns, and usually a notable building ,are flanked by pots sprouting vines flowering in an impossible array of flowers and berries w/blossoms. Many varied colors of silks were used, in an impressive array of stitches, including satin, rice, cross, cross-over-one, queen and long and short stitch. In this recreation [not a true reproduction], alternating running stitches shade the sky in pale lavender, and rows of alternating tent stitch fill in the floral borders background in deep green.
I started this a long time ago, and have gotten bogged down in the over-one section (I hate to stitch over-one). The top photo I found somewhere on the net..someone has finished it..I wish it was me! The second and third pics are of my work. It was designed by Sandy Orton for TIN magazine, spring 1993.

4 comments:

Annemarie said...

Oh, but you've already come such a long way with this one! It's wonderful. Thanks for the extra info!

Annie Beez said...

Wow!! That is stunning!! We are so alike! So many of the same works that I admire you are either stitching or dreaming about!
Your progress on this is truly inspiring!

Rowyn said...

That is gorgeous!! Hope we'll see more progress pics soon.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel! Believe it or not, I just finished this pattern! I started at the bottom, so it is dated 1995. Not bad - it only took me 13 years (off and on)! I figured I better finish it soon - the older I get the harder the linen is to see!

I have always said that this sampler could tell my life story!