Walls for the wind and a roof for the rain and drinks beside the fire ~
laughter to cheer you and those you love near you and all that your heart desires.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Stash...and crash?

Pic of finished Mary Hurst sampler from Scarlet Letter



I recently ordered Mary Hurst from The Scarlet Letter after seeing it being stitched on one of my needlework boards...I just fell in love with it! The colours are so soft and pretty. I have started it, and only have the top row of alphabet done (it`s hard to see in the pic, but it is 'whitework', done in a very pale blue) because the frogs came to visit...I ended up restitching the letter 'Z' 6 times!! Oy!!! Hopefully the rest will go somewhat smoother...I`ll post a pic as soon as I have any real progress...
I also got these




Judah Hayle samplers from The Scarlet Letter


This is three patterns in one folder were done by students of Judah Hayle in Ipswitch England. I have been fascinated with the story of Judah Hayle since I saw an article in the issue of SANQ. Last year I got the book by Edwina Ehrman about the Judah Hayle school from Needleprint

that has pictures of the samplers from the school that are extant and a history of Judah Hayle herself. It is a wonderful book, and just whet my appetite for a closer look at the samplers associated with this school. I am stitching a 'recreation' Judah Hayle that was published by Needleprint using a somewhat more modern pallet.


but I am anxious to start one of the repros too...I have had a fit of 'startitus' lately...I have started 4 new projects and am planning more. I need more hands...and more time to stitch.

Keep stitching ladies....

9 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh wow! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on these! So pretty!

Giovanna said...

These samplers are wonderful, and good for you on the startitis, lol.

Susan said...

Amen on the more time - I need some also. The projects all look lovely. Good luck in your stitching - no more frogging!

Happy Spring Stitching!

cathymk said...

Ooh I do like your new samplers MJ! I got the Judah Hayles sometime last year (- they are lovely aren't they) and I just love Mary Hurst! One of my wish list!

Lovely work on your WIP too!

Erica said...

Those are gorgous samplers!
I am looking forward to seeing them finished.
I can relate to your stitching the letter Z six times! I thought I was going to pull my hair out while working on The Old Aviary, all that white work on 40 count linen!

Stitch By Stitch said...

Oh such lovely new projects!

marylin & poussy said...

Hello, but how can we make such marvels, it is magnificent, which talent! Your blog inspires me even if I have no your genius(engineering)!
Friendship of FRANCE mary

Brigitte said...

Ohhhhh, these samplers are just beautiful. Looking forward to seeing your progress pictures.

Jon Lee said...

i just became a follower of your blog. Because of your beautiful pictures of samplers, I went to The Scarlet Letter website and ordered several.

Jon Lee