Walls for the wind and a roof for the rain and drinks beside the fire ~
laughter to cheer you and those you love near you and all that your heart desires.

Thursday, April 12, 2007


This is another Scottish sampler...similar in layout to the Elizabeth Brown one below, but done in only two thread colors, red and green. As I mentioned before, the reason for this is speculated to be that they were influenced by samplers from Friesland, a major trading partner with Scotland. The trees here are also very much like the ones on Elizabeths'. There are also pairs of initials, again, likely of her parents and/or siblings. I can identify Algerian eyelet stitch, as well as cross and four-sided from the picture. I don`t remember where I found this, I think it was in one of the museum collections from Scotland. I have patterns of very similar samplers to stitch that I haven`t done yet...I must get back to work on my stitching...it just seems lately I`d rather do sampler research than actual stitching...ttfn..

2 comments:

Annemarie said...

Hi, I've been following your blog for some time now, and just wanted to leave a note saying how much I enjoy reading about your stitchings and your sampler research.

Lelia said...

Did you see the red & green sampler 'better late than never' ?

I think in the last SAN-Q issue.

it is done over one thread ... but, would be nice over two threads, too