Walls for the wind and a roof for the rain and drinks beside the fire ~
laughter to cheer you and those you love near you and all that your heart desires.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sampler Stitches

These are the satin stitches on my version of 17th Century Style Band Sampler that I subbed for the buttonhole variation that was giving me fits...I will have to try the buttonhole variation on a scrap at some point and try to figure out what I was doing wrong, but I think this looks fine on this sampler. I also gave the chain stitches another try...it called for them in an earlier band, but mine didn`t look neat enough, so I used something else...four-sided stitch I think. I have changed so many bands I can`t remember now.
This is interlacing done on chain stitch outline...where you see the diagonal dotted line of floss is where I wove to start my thread, which will be hidden by the lacing...to finish the thread I took the needle to the back and wove it again, filling in the gaps in the diagonal line. I am trying to find ways to end threads that are as neat as possible.

This is what the leaves look like with the needleweaving finished. The one on the right could be neater, but it looks worse in the pic than it does in real life. I may redo that leaf...



This is another shot of the needle weaving in progress, along with some blanket stitch.





I added these satin stitched hearts to fill in the end of the row...I think there is room for another one...or maybe a cross. Hmmmm...




This is a variation of a Rhodes Stitch I substituted for satin stitches...I love the raised texture it adds! I will show a progress pic of the whole sampler in my next post.

3 comments:

staci said...

Your stitching is GORGEOUS! I love all the specialty stitches!!!

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

These close-ups are stunning! Great stitching, mj!