Walls for the wind and a roof for the rain and drinks beside the fire ~
laughter to cheer you and those you love near you and all that your heart desires.

Friday, January 30, 2015

Progress pics, this and that...

I have been stitching on Heirloom Stitching sampler from The Victoria Sampler and having fun with it. I didn't want to go buy the silks and specialty threads because, let's face it, I have more stash than I will ever use up, and I also wanted to tweak the colour palette a bit so I matched the solid colours up with DMC the best I could, used Weeks Basil and Caron Waterlilies in Java, added a little more dusty purple with Anchor 871 and Bob's your uncle!

 
Sorry for the wrinkles, the pics were kind of a spur of the moment thing because I was actually awake when the light was pretty good.


 
There are still some leaves to do over one in the top section


 
I am leaving the cutwork, Hardanger and long satin stitches until last. I also changed the row with the pink flowers because there was a row of over one there, and I just wasn't in the mood (it is not my favorite stitch)
 
I have been working on a couple of other samplers, Mary Hurst by The Scarlet Letter and IM  IB by The Essamplaire, no pics yet, sorry!
 
I got a new sampler book,
 
 
Remember Thy Creator by Naomi Tarrant, a book on Scottish samplers, which are my favorite, along with English band samplers from the 1600s. It is a gorgeous book, I got it for Christmas and am still dipping into it. Lots of info and gorgeous pictures.
 
Speaking of Christmas, all my decorations are still up because on the 26th of December I had surgery on my foot to remove a neuroma and have a tailors bunion (on the outside of the foot) removed. The surgeon said it would be an easy surgery and quick recovery. HA! He lied. I promptly got an infection which was painful beyond imagination. I think I actually called their office while under the influence of pain killers and told them to cut it off (not kidding).I am still not able to stand for a long time and my foot is still too swollen to wear a proper boot to go outside so I am still stumping around the mall in this:
 
It's a tad cold on the toes in the winter, no matter how I wrap my foot. So, that's been fun!
 
I also got this book from Amazon,
 
 
an oldie (published in 1970) but goodie and was flipping through it last night when I found another sampler like the Jane Turner one! You may recall another blogger and I were finding a lot of what I call 'Jane Turners' sisters a year or so ago and had heard of a sampler by Mary Lawley but had not seen a picture of her. The pic is in black and white but she is unmistakably a Jane Turner sister. dated 1667. If you have no idea what I am talking about the posts about Jane and her sisters start here
 
Other than that, not much new here, just spending way too much time on Face Book on the various stitching pages. Less computer more stitching should be my mantra.
Til next time, keep stitching ladies!
 

1 comment:

llknbillburg said...

I know just what you mean! I find myself in the Facebook time suck several times a day and have to tell myself to JUST TURN IT OFF!! I'm sure I would much more stitching progress if I could do that!! Laura